“Sometimes The Questions Are Complicated And The Answers Are Simple.”

– Dr. Seuss

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » 
  5. Child Custody And Parenting Plans
  6.  » Can Our Custody Orders Be Changed?

Can I Change My Custody Order?

When a court issued your child custody orders, those orders reflected your situation at a certain point in time. Since your circumstances may have changed, it may be possible to change your custody arrangements if your situation meets certain legal criteria.

At Rebecca H. Fischer, P.A., I can help you understand your custody and visitation rights as they relate to one party’s desire for relocation. If it is possible to modify your custody order, I can help you toward that goal.

The Most Common Motivations For Relocation

Relocation is a common reason for petitioning a court for custody and visitation order modification, but it is difficult to persuade a judge to allow one parent to move away with a child. The most common reasons for parental relocation include:

  • A new job, promotion or career change
  • A better housing or living situation for a child
  • The changing academic and social needs of kids as they get older
  • A new relationship or remarriage
  • The opportunity to be near grandparents or extended family members
  • A parent who is incarcerated or who has broken contact with his or her child or children

In most Florida cases, courts presume a 50/50 timeshare arrangement, and one side must prove that it is in the child’s best interests for one or the other parent to have significantly more time. Relocation may significantly change the manner in which timeshare is determined.

Contact Us For Honest Advice

Contact Rebecca H. Fischer, P.A., in Hollywood, Florida, to talk with a lawyer. We can help you protect your custody rights. We can answer your questions about custody modification and other post-divorce legal issues.